Scenario – you have made the decision to resign, but it feels a little like a breakup. You know you need to move on, but you don’t want to hurt your boss, team or friends or leave a bad taste in anyone’s mouth after your departure.
So how do you resign in the way that is respectful, thoughtful & most of all, final?
Preparation is key. Keep it clean. Keep it professional. Call a meeting with your boss and hand them the following:
- Resignation Letter – Download Resignation Letter Here
- To Do List #1 – tasks you will complete throughout your notice period Download Example Here
- To Do List #2 – tasks that need to be handed over once you have left (in the same document above).
Sending a very clear and concise message that you have made your decision to move on goes a very long way to making an amicable split and showing that you have given a lot of thought to what work you will complete before departure and what will need to be completed after you leave shows thoughtfulness & care towards the team you’re leaving.
Most of the time, a burnt bridge is based on emotions, not reality. Like going down the route of counter offer, leaving a team high & dry or not showing any care for the people you have worked with.
This might look like the following:
Dear [Supervisor’s Name],
I am writing to formally resign from my position as [Your Job Title] at [Company Name], effective [Resignation Date]. It has been a privilege to be a part of the [Company Name] team, and I am grateful for the opportunities and experiences I have gained during my tenure.
I am committed to ensuring a smooth transition and minimizing any disruption to the team. Therefore, I have prepared a comprehensive “to do” list that outlines the tasks I will complete before my departure and the responsibilities that will need to be addressed once I have left the business.
Tasks to Complete Before Resignation:
- Project Handover: I will complete the following projects or tasks before my last day:
- [Project/Task 1]: Provide a detailed status update and any necessary documentation.
- [Project/Task 2]: Ensure all deliverables are completed and provide necessary instructions for ongoing work.
- Knowledge Transfer: I will document the following information to aid in the transition process:
- [Procedure/Process 1]: Document step-by-step instructions, including any relevant resources or references.
- [Procedure/Process 2]: Provide an overview of best practices and any tips or insights gained from experience.
- Training and Support: I am available to provide training or guidance to my successor or another designated team member. Please let me know if there is a preferred schedule or if there are specific areas that require additional attention.
Tasks to Address After Resignation:
- Client Handover: Please provide me with a list of clients or projects that require follow-up or further attention after my departure. I will ensure that the necessary information is passed on to the appropriate team member or successor.
- Ongoing Responsibilities: Identify any ongoing responsibilities that will need to be reassigned or redistributed among the team. I am available to assist in developing a plan or providing input on the most suitable individuals to take on these tasks.
- Contacts and Resources: I will compile a list of important contacts, both internal and external, along with any relevant resources or documentation that may be useful for my successor or the team. This will help facilitate a seamless transition and maintain continuity in communication and relationships.
I am dedicated to ensuring a successful handover and would appreciate the opportunity to meet with you or the designated point of contact to discuss these tasks and answer any questions or concerns you may have.
I would like to express my sincere gratitude to you and the entire [Company Name] team for the support, guidance, and professional growth I have experienced during my time here. I am confident that the team will continue to thrive and achieve great success.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. I look forward to assisting in any way I can to ensure a smooth transition.